Saturday, June 29, 2013

Wimbledon--what they said

I probably would drop-shot her all day if I were standing at the other end.
Commented about Laura Robson

It’s difficult for me to keep a high level for a whole match. I played so well in 2011. Every shot was going in. It’s not the same this year. I have moments when I’m not playing well. Sometimes I have trouble with my serve and do some double faults. That’s a key. I have to focus on each point, just thinking about that point and not about the past. I do feel more relaxed not being the defending champion this year. There is less pressure on me.
Petra Kvitova

I feel better physically now than I have in a long time. I try to play better with each match, so going into the second week there are a lot of things I would like to improve.
Serena Williams

She plays pretty flat and also pretty deep.  Sometimes I really I was feeling I have dug my knees in the ground and I can't hit the ball.  I mean, this is grass court.  Lucky not so many players like her.
Li Na, commenting on Klara Zakopalova

 I think a couple of months ago some journalist asked me who is one of the youngest players, you know, coming up and doing some good results. You know, I picked her.
Agnieszka Radwanska, commenting on Madison Keys

When Robson plays well, she plays on instinct. She doesn't try to make it happen--she lets it happen.
Match commentator

I didn’t have a good night’s sleep. The match was still in my mind, what was good and bad. Today was another day for me. I played aggressively and that was the key. Yesterday it was quite close every game and we held serve. Then after the rain I played so well and was on fire but some easy mistakes came again and it was difficult to come back in the match so I was glad it was quite dark and we continued today.
Petra Kvitova

That's gonna be a shotmaker's paradise.
Pam Shriver, predicting the Radwanska-Pironkova match

No comments: