Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wimbledon--what they said

This year I hated grass a little bit less than the previous years.
Sam Stosur

Tomorrow, no one will remember how great a match it was, they'll remember who won.
Caroline Wozniacki

I need to be more aggressive and not make life so hard for myself.
Heather Watson

She's more dangerous when she's down.
Chris Evert, describing Tamira Paszek

I really don't get as upset when I lose points now. I'm not that emotional anymore.
Sloane Stephens

Cover girl Wozniacki airbrushed out of Wimbledon
Chicago Tribune headline

She really tries to lull you into a false sense of security.
Mary Joe Fernandez, describing Tsvetana Pironkova

And finally, this comment could come only from Hannah Storm: 
A lot of head-scratching going on there Down Under.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching Tamira years ago when she was just coming on tour at 15. She had just won potoroz. She and wozniacki were the only 15/16 year olds in the top 100 at the time. At the time I picked tamira to be the bigger star since she had a massive backhand (not to mention tamira was ranked 35 and wozniacki was barely in the top100).. Things didn't turn out like that...but I am glad she's getting her moments now.

She has matured though. She's always been able to fire up a crowd and she used to do that with fiery come ons...but today's silent clench fist was very pleasing to watch. Hopefully she'll have a good run...

This is Eric but I'm on a public computer.

Diane said...

I think I started watching Tamira when she was 16. She's had all kinds of problems with her father and coaches and injuries. I hope she's past all that now because she's a lot of fun to watch.