Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kvitova named ITF World Champion

Petra Kvitova, the WTA's Player of the Year, has been awarded the International Tennis Federation's World Champion designation for 2011. This award generally goes to the top-ranked player in the world, but Kvitova received more votes than world number 1 Caroline Wozniacki. Kvitova won six titles this year, including Wimbledon and the WTA Championships. She is ranked number 2 in the world.

Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik won the award for women's doubles.

The ITF World Champions dinner will be held in Paris on June 5.

2 comments:

bill said...

Petra seems a worthy champion to me but I assume that the Caro camp will be upset. Perhaps she can use it as motivation in 2012....

Diane said...

I think the ITF did the right thing, but I wasn't sure they would break tradition. (While we're on the subject--not that it matters that much--but I think the WTA did the wrong thing in not giving the Diamond Aces award to Li Na.)