Monday, March 2, 2009

Note to Flavia: Watch the video

I was just browsing over at Women's Tennis Blog, and I saw this comment from Flavia Pennetta on her loss to Venus Williams in the Acapulco final:
What happened to me? Venus Williams is what happened to me. The number 5 player in the world is what happened to me! She was just playing so strong, serving so well, it was hard to fight against her power. I didn’t feel I played badly, she just overpowered me.

I beg to differ. Pennetta played terribly throughout much of the match, including the entire first set. As well as Williams played--and she played very well--almost any good tour player could have beaten Pennetta in that match.

Venus Williams is a very good and powerful player who is really in form these days, but--and I say this as a Pennetta fan--it doesn't work to say "she overpowered me" when you give her the match on a plate. Oddly, many fans came to the same conclusion, and I have to wonder whether they actually saw the match, or just followed it on the scoreboard.

No comments: