Friday, May 9, 2008

Berlin: For me, both disappointing and thrilling

My favorite player, Amelie Mauresmo, withdrew. One of my other favorites, Patty Schnyder, was upset early. My third big favorite on the tour, Jelena Jankovic, was upset today. And Alona Bondarenko, whom I really enjoy watching, was also upset.

However, I couldn't help but be excited for Dinara Safina, who is having a huge tournament. I watched her play today, and I was very impressed with her service game and her mental toughness. And it's exciting to have Victoria Azarenka (even though she beat Bondarenko) in the semifinals, and perhaps Agnes Szavay, too (I hope).

We may have an unexpected winner. Can Safina keep it up, or will she finally wind down? Is this the right time for Elena Dementieva to take another Tier I? Will Azarenka stun everyone? Will Szavay? Or will Ana Ivanovic defend her title?

No comments: