Thursday, September 6, 2007

For whom do the players cheer?

Scoop Malinowski, writing for Tennis Week, asked some players for whom they cheer when they are not on the court. Some of the players, it appears, didn't quite understand the question and thought it was U.S. Open-specific. Here are some of the answers:

Martina Hingis: "You don't want to see anybody but yourself holding the trophy. I'm sorry--I can't give another answer."

Yan Zi: "It really doesn't matter to me."

Peng Shuai: "I never really think of that question. I just think of why I lose, my next training and what I have to train. And just wish good luck for everyone. It's really tough to cheer for anyone--every tournament has different players."

Francesca Schiavone: "Justine. Because she's a complete player. She has every shot. She has mind. I respect her."

Svetlana Kuznetsova: "All of my good friends or I guess Justine Henin. Because I think she's one of the best at the moment. She's most professional one."

Patty Schnyder: "I think Mauresmo--she has her title. So she's not even here--I really wanted her to win one Slam. But otherwise, yeah, it's not too deep friendship that I have with somebody [smiles]."

Akiko Morigami: "I would say either Anna (Chakvetadze), because I think she has so much potential. I think she can do it. She never won in a major. So I'm really cheering for Anna. I think she has a great game as well."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharapova could be added to your list. When reporters ask her who will win she says "I don't care, I'm not in the tournament any more". So, she certainly doesn't cheer for anyone.